Here at BitMED we appreciate transparency and creativity. So, let’s try something new. We would like to give you the opportunity to learn more about this role the same way we would get to know you. An application!
We’ll go first…
Why is this position crucial to BitMED?
Our lean team is ready to grow! We are rapidly onboarding 22M members to our platform and that number is growing everyday. Our SRE will be responsible for designing and scaling highly available multi-tenant services. By joining our small team, they will be an integral contributor in developing our engineering culture. This person will be a key enabler for lean integration, faster innovation, rapid development, streamlined communication and improved collaboration.
Why does this person want to work at BitMED?
They are excited about bringing blockchain technology to the healthcare community at scale. Joining BitMED is a strategic and advantageous career move for them as they will play a crucial role as a contributor to bringing a global, no-cost healthcare solution to market. They visualize the impact they’ll have in this role and are prepared to offer their expertise towards building a successful new platform that will change the way the world views healthcare.
What will this person do on a day-to-day basis?
- Work on projects with engineering team on performance, scalability and reliability
- Deploy micro services in Kubernetes and Docker containers
- Deploy and manage database sharding, memcache/REDIS
- Manage zero-downtime deployments by configuring load balancers and running rolling updates
- Conduct security reviews and overall site audits
- Manage general maintenance such as periodic data backup
- Operate a multi-tier global infrastructure running on-prem (private data centers or private clouds) and off-prem (public cloud) distributed around the world.
- Act as point contact for L1/L2 support
What qualities should this person have?
BitMED is looking for a person with the willingness to learn and the ability to contribute right off the bat. They can balance timeliness and business priorities with technical feasibility. They are adamant about solving problems and are a reliable resource for insight and assessment of technical issues. They are able to speak openly and humbly about their failures and mistakes, clearly articulating what happened and how it was addressed. They are passionate about learning, executing and leading by example. They are an open source enthusiast and a best in class developer with a desire to gain knowledge in an emerging market. They are able to think through and anticipate how hackers and others may attempt to subvert or misuse applications.
What experience should this person have?
- Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Deep understanding of cloud infrastructures such as AWS and Google Compute
- Strong understanding of networking fundamentals, security (SSL/TLS), HTTP
- Highly proficient in SQL and No-SQL databases
- Minimum 8 years’ experience skills with Linux system administration, including networking, storage, user configuration
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in designing and operating NOCs (network operations center)
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in using open source operations monitoring solutions (e.g. ELK stack)
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in virtualization automation with tools like Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible, Chef
- Minimum 4 years’ experience building and maintaining a global SaaS infrastructure
- Minimum 4 years’ experience setting up and supporting CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with HIPAA/PCI/SOX/SOC-2 compliance is mandatory.
- Expert proficiency in a high-level language like Python, Go, Ruby and/or Java
- Strong expertise in scaling through data-driven capacity planning, within both physical data centers and Cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP or Azure)
- Troubleshooting and full-cycle incident response (mitigation, correction, prevention)